Save energy and money with these 10 tips for energy efficiency in your home!
1. Change the light bulbs throughout your home to new LED light bulbs. This easy swap can reduce energy use anywhere from a third to as much as 80% as opposed to non LED light bulbs.
2. Clean or change air filters regularly. A dirty furnace or A/C filter will slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep your home warm or cool.
3. Reduce water heater temperature to about 130° F to save energy
and money on heating water. You can also wrap your water heater in a specially-designed “blanket” to retain the heat.
4. Install a programmable thermostat that will automatically adjust the temperature according to your schedule.
5. Upgrade your appliances including dishwasher, refrigerator, or washer & dryer to newer energy-efficient models.
6. Sealing cracks, gaps, leaks, and adding insulation can save up to 10% on home heating and cooling costs.
7. Use the air dry setting on your dishwasher rather than the heated dry setting.
8. If your home has single-pane windows, consider replacing them with more energy efficient dual-paned windows, or adding solar shades or tinting film to help keep your home warm in the winter time, and cool in the summertime.
9. Set your refrigerator temperature to the manufacturer’s recommendation to avoid excessive cooling and wasting energy.
10. Turn off the lights when they’re not in use or when you leave the home. Lighting accounts for about 12% of a typical residential utility bill.
REALTOR ®, BRE #01950753