8 cost effective fixes for home sellers, to help make your home more appealing to buyers and increase your potential sales price!
1. Remove popcorn ceiling – it is not visually appealing to buyers, and if your home was built prior to 1978, it may actually contain asbestos. Remove the popcorn and repaint the ceilings2. Repaint the interior of your home – Remove any wallpaper, choose a neutral paint color, and repaint throughout the interior of your home. Will immediately give your home a fresh look and feel
3. Change or add hardware to all the cabinet and drawer handles throughout your home, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms. Choose one finish color, such as bronze, copper, or silver, so all the hardware cohesively matches in color throughout all the rooms. This will give your home an updated, modern touch. You can also change all of the doorknobs and towel racks to match as well.
4. If your kitchen cabinets are outdated, you may not need to replace them. You can refinish or repaint them to give them a fresh and updated look (and don’t forget to add new hardware!)
5. Lighting – consider changing the light fixtures in the kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, and hallways to new, modern fixtures. You can also consider installing recessed lighting and adding a dimmer switch. And of course, install new, high-wattage LED light bulbs, to make sure your home is nice and bright for buyer showings
6. Consider installing new appliances – consider a new refrigerator, built in microwave, oven and/or stove. It is not required for sellers to include appliances with the sale of their home, however it can be a great plus for buyers if your home has brand new appliances
7. Keep your house clean and smelling great while in the process of selling. Remove old rugs and draperies, professionally clean your carpets, clean windows, and other mirrored surfaces throughout your home
8. Declutter and depersonalize your home – open up the space on your counter tops by removing kitchen gadgets, remove hygiene products from bath counters, and try to remove at least half of the clothes in your closets, giving buyers a sense of ample space and storage in your home
Fixing and updating your home for sale doesn’t have to be intimidating or overly expensive. We can work with your budget to create a list of fixes for your particular home, to make sure it is ultra appealing to buyers and emphasizes the uniqueness of what your home has to offer. Reach out to me and let’s create a plan for your home sale today!
REALTOR ®, BRE #01950753